Sunday, August 31, 2008

Merdeka Day 2008 celebration photos 1

Malaysia celebrate its 51st independence anniversary today.

This year I celebrated the nation’s independence at Dataran Merdeka to watch the colurful grand parade and performance. I reached Merdeka Square at about 7.00 am. By this time, there were already thousands of participants getting ready in line for showtime.

I had with me two cameras, Sony and Kodak but one thing I did not notice was the date on the Kodak camera which still show 30th August eventhough its Merderka Day 31.8.08!

There were already many spectators lining up the parade routes and at the field to get a good view. Somehow I had made may way into the cordon areas reserved for media people. It was opposite the grand stand where cabinet ministers, diplomats and their wives were sitting.

When the show started at 8.00 am sharp, I had a wonderful bird's eye view and was enjoying myself snaping photos at every angle I wished until a sharp-eyed policeman noticed that I was not wearing the media tag. He asked for my tag and questioned which media I was from. I said something about me taking photos for blogging and I could see that he was like blur-blur and I could hear him murmuring 'blogging' to himself as though the word was alien to him. Before I could answer him, I quickly make my way to another vantage point for snapping photos. Lucky me he did not follow me.



Pretty damsels all dressed up in colourful attire.

Three mascots from the four floats taking part in the parade.


Bankers taking part in the march-past under the Association of Banks in Malaysia (ABM) banner.


Prime Minister Dato' Seri Abdullah bin Haji Ahmad Badawi (left) and Deputy Prime Minister Dato' Seri Mohd. Najib Bin Tun Abdul Razak (right) raised their right hands during the reciting of Rukunnegara. Malaysia’s 13th King, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin from Terengganu stands in the middle.
The King takes the salute when the national anthem Negaraku was played.

Cabinet ministers standing to attention. See any familiar faces?


More cabinet ministers....OK I recognised one Muhammad.


Diplomats and their wives watching our vibrant culture.
Five Royal Malaysia Air Force helicopters flew by bearing the Malaysian during the fly-past.

Thousands of school children began the show on the field at Dataran Square with songs and dances.

School children dressed in the colours of Malaysian flag doing a dance number.


School children doing a dance performance.


The formation of words by school children for this year's National Day theme Perpaduan Teras Kejayaan or “Unity, the Thrust of Success”.

Participants dressed in colourful traditonal costumes of Malaysia.


The all-girls marching band from Ave Maria Convent School, Ipoh at the parade.


Its an honor to have Datuk Mahadzir Lokman, former newscaster as one of the two Master of Ceremony at the event.



I had a closeup look at the Jimmy Jib camera crane operated by RTM for their live coverage.



The mobile arm of Jimmy Jib camera crane can be used for focus and zoom.



The horse enforcement unit of the City Council.



These men in blue T-shits with spades and garbage bags ready to scoop up the dungs from the horses in parade.





The K-9 unit members of the Police Force who marched with their nine dogs.


RELA - a civil volunteer corps that help to preserve national security, peace and welfare of Malaysian citizens and to reduce illegal immigrant.


Malaysia paraded its military might.

















More pics at next post - Merdeka Celebration Photos 2

No comments: